A little about ourselves:
The Art Society had its humble beginnings in 1958 started by a group of ladies who banded together to learn to paint under the home of one of its members. Twenty two years later the group took over an "A" frame style building, situated on the town side of Granite Creek overlooking the lake, as a club room for meetings and workshops.
After much fund-raising, grants and the support from Mareeba Shire Council, the group then moved to the present building, affectionately referred to as the "B" frame. Originally this building was to be a meeting place and a place to store equipment for the Mareeba Art Society’s Annual Art Exhibitions being held in conjunction with the Mareeba Tobacco Festival.
As the Society grew and needs changed eventually the front portion of the building was converted into a “shop”. This was to be for members who wished to sell their surplus arts and crafts. The shop has now evolved to the modern display we have today.
The shop is manned daily by the Society’s volunteers who enjoy meeting a range of travelers from all over the world who pass through.
As the activities requested by members expanded, a need developed for more storage and a place for “dirty” crafts to be practiced, so a shed was built. This was funded entirely by the Mareeba Art Society Members who had fund-raised for the accomplishment of this project.
A “Gallery” was envisioned to support Artist, groups or individuals, who sought to display smaller Exhibitions. The veranda, attached to the main building, was then enclosed giving the area dual purpose. On market days this area becomes an Café providing a pleasant space for market patrons to enjoy a morning tea or other refreshments. Maybe we will see you there soon.
The Mareeba Art Society Committee includes:
Chair: Faythe Keogh Vice Chair: Esther Hodi
Secretary: Janet Parkinson Treasurer: Merylin Holmes